We invite you to join us and experience the many benefits of the IED program and see how your company can impact the future of engineering.
Projects proposed for the IED program should meet a specific need for your company and should involve design, prototyping, and consideration of financial impact. Project categories can include electro-mechanical systems, biomedical systems, aerospace systems, civil/environmental/chemical/manufacturing systems and processes, and application/web/embedded software.
Company involvement includes providing a committed liaison who will be actively available to the students during the 9-month (2-semester) project, along with the full funding of all project costs. The 9-month project team completes the design project starting in late August and concludes in late April.
Benefits of being a sponsor of a design project include:
- Interacting with senior engineering and business students (it’s an 8-month interview)
- Allowing a co-op student to continue their interaction with your company after they return to campus for coursework
- Networking with UT faculty in your technical field
- Pursuing an exploratory project that may pay future dividends
- Exposing students to company brand and culture
- Accessing unique UT labs and facilities
Expectations for sponsors of a design project include:
- Defining Project (Scope of Work) January through May
- Finalizing Project Scope of Work by the last week of June
- Executing project agreement by the last week of July
- Satisfying project invoice by the last week of August
- Hosting a project kickoff with students in early September
- Participating weekly in web, teleconference or face-to-face project meetings
- Hosting a Preliminary Design Review in October
- Traveling to campus for a System Level Design Review in early December
- Attending the college-wide Senior Design Showcase in late April